Investing in a smart home upgrade can seem like a fantastic idea, but one that comes with a higher price tag. Is it worth doing so? That depends specifically on how you plan to use your smart home, what it includes and if your home insurance provider sees it as a valuable upgrade. How does a smart home impact home insurance?
What Your Smart Home Offers Matters to You
Each type of smart home is different than the next. Some offer key features that help to make a home safer and less likely to need to file a home insurance claim. These are the most likely smart home upgrades that can help you qualify for a discount on your home insurance. When choosing such an upgrade, consider those with these key features:
- Home security systems – These add significant value and protection to your home. They ward off would-be thieves as well. And, they can minimize the amount of risk your home has for break-ins.
- Smoke alarms – Smoke alarms are growing in importance for homeowners. Smart homes often offer upgraded models that not only alert you in the home of the smoke, but also alert local fire and rescue as well as your mobile app.
- Fire alarms – Much like smoke alarms, these connected tools can be very powerful in this manner. They can keep your home safe and minimize extensive damage.
- Outdoor lighting – Another deterrent for would-be break-ins, upgrades to your home’s outdoor lighting, especially those in higher risk areas can help you save money.
- Energy-efficient systems – While upgrading to save money on heating and cooling costs will not reduce your home insurance costs, many of these systems monitor for upgrades and preventative maintenance. They may even tell you when your home’s system needs repair. This could help reduce risks of fires and other problems.
With these key features, your home is more likely to be safe and less likely to require extensive home insurance claims. If you decide to add a smart home upgrade, contact your home insurance company in advance and discuss the opportunities for reducing your premium as a result. You may find this is the perfect way to save money while improving the way your home works for your individual needs. Your home insurance policy could provide you with a discount if you upgrade to a smart home system.
If you have questions about how a smart home system will affect your College Park insurance rates, call Peachstate Insurance today at (877) 997-2478!