Owning a home comes with the responsibility of maintaining it. Even if you think your home is in good shape, chances are there are risks that could be very worrisome.
If you have home insurance, it can help to reduce at least some of these risks. It can also keep you financially secure should something happen with your home. However, every homeowner should still take the time to seek out risks and minimize them.
Take a Walk Around Your Home
To pinpoint risks around your home, it pays to take pen and paper and go for a thorough walk around the property. Ask yourself which areas have the most potential for other people to get hurt or for a fire to occur. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Do the driveway or sidewalks have lips or areas that are uneven? Someone could fall here and you may face claims for their medical bills.
- Look inside the garage. Are there chemicals stored here in an improper or unsafe manner? What can you do to cut the risk of yard equipment catching on fire here?
- Look at the foundation of your home. Is it watertight? If not, you could be putting the structural integrity of the home at risk. Notice cracks, too.
- Is the roof well-maintained? It may be important for you to look at the condition of the roof tiles as well as the interior attic space for any signs of moisture or mold.
- Are your appliances properly serviced every year? This can help to reduce the risk of fire.
- Do you have ample security presence for your home to ensure that intruders cannot get into it?
- Take a look at your home’s security system. Is it up to date? Do you know how to operate it?
- Do you have fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, and carbon monoxide detectors in the home? Are they working?
These are just some of the biggest risks homeowners face on a routine basis. It is up to homeowners to take steps to reduce risks of hazards, but it is not always easy. It may be wise to have a home inspector look at your home’s risks and also to update your home insurance to match those risks.
We can help you get the Smyrna home insurance policy that you need. Call us at 877.997.2478 to get started.