Renters insurance is one of the most overlooked, yet valuable forms of property insurance today. It provides a wide range of benefits for today’s apartment, condo or home renter. Generally speaking, this type of insurance covers your personal property and belongings while also providing liability coverage to you when you live in a space that you don’t own. However, there are some instances in which renters insurance can help to cover auto-related losses. When does that apply?
What Does Renters Insurance Cover?
Renters insurance most commonly provides you with financial compensation for the losses you suffer through no fault of your own due to theft, fire, vandalism or a number of other risks. However, it only provides this type of protection to your belongings. It does not provide protection for your car itself. Here’s a situation where it may apply.
- You have a renters insurance policy that has an endorsement or rider added to it for the high valued items you have, such as your laptop.
- Someone breaks into your vehicle by smashing a window and steals the laptop.
- Your renters insurance may cover the cost of replacing the laptop or may give you the cash value of the laptop, depending on your policy.
- Your damaged window is not covered under this plan.
- In some cases, your auto insurance can cover the damage to the window and may cover the lost items within your vehicle, depending on the policy.
There are a few things to keep in mind though. First, your renters insurance plan should have any high-valued items listed on it whenever possible. If you do not tell your insurance provider that you have these items or have some proof that you purchased and own them, claiming you lost the item can be difficult. More so, most policies have an upper limit as to how much they will allow you to claim. Learn what your policy is worth before you select it to ensure you have proper coverage.
Renters insurance can help you when there is an incident related to property loss within your car, but you’ll need to carry car insurance for any other claims related to damage to your vehicle. Of course, buying them together in a bundle may help you save money as well.
We’ll help review the details of your policy. Call Peachstate Insurance at (877) 997-2478 for more information on Stockbridge GA renters insurance.