The requirement to purchase SR-22 insurance isn't an easy one to swallow. It means paying more for the auto insurance you need to have in order to drive. Many people who have had serious moving violations (such as a DUI or DWI) or those involved in an at-fault accident may need to maintain this requirement. If you've previously had a suspended or revoked license or numerous traffic offenses in a short period of time, you may need this type of protection in place. But how can you get rid of it?
How Long Does an SR-22 Insurance Requirement Last?
State laws differ and each situation is different as well. However, in most cases, you will need to maintain SR-22 insurance for at least three years. During the time period in which it is required, you must maintain coverage (at least liability coverage) without any type of break.
If there is a lapse in your coverage, the car insurance company will have to report that, which means your license is likely to be suspended. Keeping this in mind, you may be wondering how you can avoid accidents and violations to avoid having this period of time lengthened?
How to Drive Safely
Your auto insurance company wants you to drive safely, as does the state. These tips can help you.
- Don't leave the house if you plan to drink. And if you do, don't drive to the location so you cannot drive home. In short, if DUI or DWI is the underlying cause of your SR-22 insurance requirement, don't put yourself in a position where it can occur again.
- If you have poor driving habits, consider a course to help improve and re-teach you the areas of risk, such as reckless driving or speeding.
- Don't drive as frequently. Walk, bike or take a bus instead. Reducing the number of times you are out on the street reduces risks.
- Get rid of distractions in the car including phones, too many other people and loud music.
- Make a conscious effort to pay better attention to what is happening around you.
It may seem simple to avoid a car accident, but it isn't always that easy. When you take these steps, you may reduce your car insurance costs if you avoid moving violations and accidents.
Stay safe on the road. Call Peachstate Insurance at (877) 997-2478 for more information on Douglasville SR-22 auto insurance.